Life As A Wedding Photographer

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

All photographs in this blog post are mine and © Rachel Victoria Photography



I've mentioned it once or twice already during this blog, but I thought maybe it was time to go into a little more depth about what I do and why I LOVE it so much.

The hardest decision I think I have ever made was starting up my own business, from scratch, straight after graduating from university. I wasn't completely clueless when I made this choice, for the past couple of years I had been an assistant for a photographer, so I was learning so much. 

I had been doing portraits for family members for a few years, which was really fun. Weddings are a completely different ball game. The days a long, you barely get a break and there's a LOT of pressure to get it right - but I absolutely LOVE it. If you go back 2 years I never would have thought I had the confidence to ever do a wedding.


What is there not to enjoy about a wedding? You get to spend an entire day surrounded by happiness and love all day long. Especially the bride at home moments, which is the first glance you get into the day. Any nerves i'm feeling during this moment melt away once I see the bride and her girls all excited and getting ready. What reason do I possibly have to be nervous? 

I love capturing all the tiny little details during this time, like the bride's hands, makeup application and even toenail painting - as well as the dress and shoes. For me all these tiny details are kinda overlooked, but are still part of the day!


The moment the bride-to-be has a moment in the car when she arrives to the church is a priceless, beautiful moment to capture - and it's completely natural and organic.
Each wedding is so different, even though the formalities are always the same. That's something I really enjoy, as every one is unique. That's also something I try to bring into my style of shooting. The way I shoot now is very candid and natural, trying to give the impression of somebody looking in on a very special moment instead of setting up moments. I feel that taking a step backwards from the day can create some really special, organic moments - it's hard to feel natural when someone is shoving a huge lens in your face all day.


Here's a little selection of a few of my favourite Newly Wed Portraits after the ceremony :) 


It's a massive passion to capture these amazing weddings and to be involved and trusted with such an important day. 

I'm still learning so much, too. 2015 is officially my 2nd year of business and I still have a massive journey ahead of me. My absolute dream is to be able to photograph weddings for the rest of my life and see my little business flourish and grow. It's hard work and sometimes I work endless amounts of hours to boost my business, the money isn't steady and it's stressful - but I don't ever want to give up! 

If you want to see some more of my work, please click the links below. If you get a chance 'like' my Facebook page too that would be lovely - I sometimes run some competitions to with photo shoots :)


Let me know what you think :) Thanks in advance for all the support from the blogger community!!  


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Aw your pictures are amazing! Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you that's very kind :) I sometimes feel like i'm still trying to find my feet, but when I see them together I can actually see my style developing.

      Delete
  2. Your still young and have so much time to grow :), i love the wedding gallery! The natural shots are my favourite, must be so pressurising getting the perfect shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing photos, you're really talented! I nominated you for the Liebster Award, for more information, go to my blog :) http://natureofhappiness.blogspot.nl/2015/02/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete